December 06, 2005

in a taxi on the G Washington Bridge


Here's a cute thing that happened in a taxi in NYC - we were stuck on a bridge in severe traffic and my cab driver asked the civilians in the car next to us for directions. This is good news for me. It means that I too can be a cab driver in NYC because I don't know my way around either!

In London, cabbies have to pass exams on their in-depth knowledge of the city every 2 years or so... and in NY they'll be asking YOU how to get places. Even the guidebook warns you to bring a map (and dictionary) to show the driver as they are often immigrants who don't speeke Eenglish properly. And to think that the yellow taxis are such icons in the NY landscape - yet the people driving them often don't know the city or the language very well. Interesting....

No comments: