July 20, 2008

I won't answer that ...


Upon arrival in Corsica from Paris, I made the fatal error of asking the car-rental lady at the airport the following question:
Do cell phone calls to Paris cost as the same as in France from here?

I won't answer that, will I? We are IN France here!


Oh, crap - all I ever hear about Corsica is how violent the politics on the island are (turbulent Corsica remains a thorn in the flesh of France's political elite. And the evening scent of Mediterranean pine will occasionally be mixed with the smell of plastic explosive - BBC) and how some government prefét was murdered by the 'autonomistes' and the first person I meet gives me the 'we're IN France' spiel when I'm trying to be culturally sensitive to the fact that I expect everyone on the island to be hopping mad with the French. You just can't win, can you?

No comments: